Did anyone try Artweaver 0.5.5 in Wine?

Here everybody can post his questions/problems with Artweaver.
Prosis

Did anyone try Artweaver 0.5.5 in Wine?

Beitragvon Prosis » Mo Okt 06, 2008 4:47 am

I just installed Artweaver 0.5.5 with Wine and it freezes during the startup and I am unable to use it.

Did this happen to anyone else?

This happens to me with both installed and portable version even though version 0.5 is considered Platinum on Wine appDB...

http://appdb.winehq.org/objectManager.p ... &iId=11587

Help? :)

Boris Eyrich
Site Admin
Beitragvon Boris Eyrich » Mi Okt 08, 2008 9:32 pm

Can you please set the operating system to Windows 98 in the Wine preferences for Artweaver and try it again.

Is Artweaver now working?

Prosis

Beitragvon Prosis » Fr Okt 10, 2008 7:33 pm

Yes it works, thanks a whole bunch! :D

billstei

Beitragvon billstei » Do Okt 23, 2008 4:58 am

I have ArtWeaver 0.5.5 running under Wine 1.1.6 and a WinXP setting in winecfg and for the most part everything is working very well. :D

The one exception is that pressure data from my wacom tablet is not being read by ArtWeaver, and this is apparently a Wine bug, as this problem exists with other paint programs too, and is being worked on: http://bugs.winehq.org/show_bug.cgi?id=11846

Boris, if you have any thoughts or insight as to how ArtWeaver might differ in the way it reads pressure data, I would be interested to learn this, and will pass it along to the Wine devs.

Bill

Boris Eyrich
Site Admin
Beitragvon Boris Eyrich » Mo Okt 27, 2008 7:40 pm

Boris, if you have any thoughts or insight as to how ArtWeaver might differ in the way it reads pressure data, I would be interested to learn this, and will pass it along to the Wine devs.

Artweaver uses the WinTab interface to get the pen data. It uses messages and also polling.

Maybe adding the following registry key could help:
HKCU\Software\Artweaver\0.5\Settings\
UseWinTabPolling (REG_SZ) = 0

billstei

Beitragvon billstei » Di Okt 28, 2008 3:18 am

Boris: thanks for the additional info. Adding that key did not change anything that I can tell.

There is no reason to think that ArtWeaver is at fault, and as soon as bug #11846 is fixed this will no doubt resolve itself. As you can see in that Wine Bug thread there is a wintab32 component in Wine, and the problem in Wine seems to be that of getting wintab messages to child windows, as opposed to main/parent windows. Since ArtWeaver puts the drawing window (child) inside the main ArtWeaver app window (parent), this is probably where the problem is. Or do I misunderstand the window architecture?

Bill

billstei

Beitragvon billstei » Sa Nov 01, 2008 5:13 pm

I just tested Wine 1.1.7 recompiled with the John Klehm patches applied (you have to apply both of them) and pressure works. John indicated that he will be submitting (even better) code patches in the near future (which then will have to be accepted into the main Wine code tree) so I think we can anticipate ArtWeaver being very useable in Wine someday.

See http://bugs.winehq.org/show_bug.cgi?id=11846#c43 for further info.

Bill

Zurück zu „Discussion about Artweaver“