I know this question has many posts already but...

Here everybody can post his questions/problems with Artweaver.
bubs

I know this question has many posts already but...

Beitragvon bubs » So Nov 11, 2007 3:03 am

It's true you could get a practically cult following if you had linux support. you seem to follow this forum pretty well and listen to peoples complaints... unlike the gimp people.

but have you thought about advertising for like one or two linux programmers to help port your project? I'm sure that there would be at least one person willing to donate some time and effort to help out if the program was really good. which I here it is (downloading now).

if it's really that good I would be willing to donate some money (also suggested before by someone else) to get a port started. I know it would be extremely hard to support multiple OS's by yourself.

and this last part is only a question. I am not wanting to offend you or your effort to make this software. but, have you thought about releasing your code under an open source license? it doesn't have to be the GPL it could be a bsd or mit license, or you could make your own. Just a thought. I know some programmers don't like that idea. and thats fine. but you could run it like linus runs the kernel... people submit patches, new features, and what ever to you, then you decide what goes into the next official release.

again just a few thoughts. it seems like a lot of people (including me) are dying for a decent linux painting app. there is a huge void here, we have good sound apps, good 3d apps, but nothing good when it comes to a painting app and yes I think gimp is not worth the effort, and there developers need to start paying attention to all the complaints.

bubs

sirgazil

Beitragvon sirgazil » Fr Nov 16, 2007 3:21 pm

I agree, I would be the first in that cult!

I've been using only free (libre) software for about 5 months now and I'm very happy with it. But when it comes to drawing or painting... I just don't like Gimp nor Krita very much.

I think Artweaver is easy on the eye, it has a decent documentation already and is more friendly to traditional artists.

I would love to see a libre Artweaver and I would love to contribute as a translator and document writer. But I think Boris Knows what he's doing, so I won't bother with this topic anymore.

Best regards.
La critica es fácil, el arte es difícil.

Boris Eyrich
Site Admin
Beitragvon Boris Eyrich » So Nov 18, 2007 11:05 am

Porting Artweaver to other Operating Systems such as Linux is not so easy. The development environment used for Artweaver is only available for Windows. If I would create a Linux version of Artweaver I had to rewrite Artweaver from scratch and this will take about a few years.

But as I said before, I'm willing to support Artweaver under Wine. If it's possible I'll change Artweaver to improve Wine support.

Zurück zu „Discussion about Artweaver“