Brush import trouble

Here everybody can post his questions/problems with Artweaver.
FlorenceDupuis

Brush import trouble

Beitragvon FlorenceDupuis » Sa Okt 11, 2014 1:46 am

Hello, I am using windows 8 and the latest version of artweaver free.
I have tried for so long importing brushes, which didn't work. Finally, I succeeded importing a abr brush. So I was happy and thought I'd import more. But now it doesn't like it always do and doesn't work. Just says "pas de nouvelles variantes ont été installées" (something like no new variante installed). My disc still has more than ten GO free. What should I do, dear dear software genius?

FlorenceDupuis

Re: Brush import trouble

Beitragvon FlorenceDupuis » Sa Okt 11, 2014 6:13 pm

Not but like...Seriously. Help.

Boris Eyrich
Site Admin

Beitragvon Boris Eyrich » Sa Okt 11, 2014 8:11 pm

Artweaver only supports a few ABR brush versions. So it might be that you are trying to import an ABR brush which is not supported by Artweaver. The ABR brush file format is unfortunately not well document and therefore it is very complex and challenging to support every version.

Artgenossa

Beitragvon Artgenossa » Fr Dez 26, 2014 11:47 am

Hello Florence,

in some cases the abr-files contains more and different file-types (bitmaps, presets and the hell knows what else ...?). That's similar to the .pbv-files of Artweaver ("packed brush variants" contains bitmaps besides .xml-files too). So abr-files are not similar to .cbr-files (that only contains one or more bitmaps). Furthermore the bitmaps in .abr-files are in a lot of cases much larger than 500 x 500 px - sometimes about 1500 x 1500 px or even more and just this confirms not to Artweaver (AWFree / AWPlus gets it up to 1000 x 1000 px only!).

To get photoshop-brushes into Artweaver you first have to find a way to "extract" the bitmaps out of the .abr-files for "resizing" it. A few special programms or applications are able to do this - "Gimp" for example, PaintShopPro, especially "abrMate" and "abrViewer" (perhaps). Otherwise you have to pay more attention while downloading brushes: "Catch bitmaps only!" (prevent from very "exotic" file-types! And "yes" - Photoshop is extremely exotic, because "exorbitant" expensive! It probably comes from an other galaxy, out of the "cloud" or heaven, from Adobe Arrogante or from "out of reach" ...!).

To get the bitmaps out of some .abr-files I took abrMate - this works surely! The small lightweight application allows you to export / convert selected brushes into .png images for use in other applications. It also allows you to convert elder .abr-fileversions into newer fileversions (perhaps in the other way too). The lost "presets" or "brush variants" after extracting the bitmap can be written and saved anew in Artweaver.

abrMate and description you will find here:__ http://www.texturemate.com/abrMate
abrViewer and other you will find under:__ http://www.photoshopbrush.biz/abrviewer.htm

!!! ... but be CAREFULLY while choosing any download-buttons: Some "Download Manager" for abrMate comes with some (hidden) "add-ware" and MALEWARE !!! A "Download-manager" or "Generic Installer" isn't necessery at all. So try to find any other download-server and DON'T deactivate your anti-virus-detection while installing abrMate (or something else)!

Instead of this (or getting the wrong download-button) I strongly recommend to load down the following .zip-file which is taken from here: http://www.download3k.de/Install-abrMate.html (Mirror: "Download3K US"). It contains a very simple (setup).exe-file only which is absolutely "clean" without any spy-, male- or add-ware (tested by "me" and Norton360 - at last today!):

abrMate-1.1.zip
(1.56 MiB) 273-mal heruntergeladen

By the way: So called "Photoshop-brushes" in Photoshop works in combination with "masking" the outer areas - partially managed by "settings" or .xml-files. Cause of this some "brushes" comes in such wide dimensions like "2500 x 2500 px" - those bitmaps mostly needs a selection and / or a white semi-transparent mask for blending or "smoothing" it! But such a "variant mask" you will never get with an .abr-file - the variant mask and "blending-tool" is allways holden back by the application (Photoshop).

kindly regards, Artgenossa

EliseRaff

Beitragvon EliseRaff » Mi Okt 21, 2015 11:04 am

I think all depends on the brush itself,after reading your concern i fired up my Artrage 64 bit loaded a PS brush hulle6.com (butterfly3_brushes_by_hawksmont) whom where made for PS CC2 and they seems to work!!! lately i had downloaded brushes that where made in 32 and 64 bit....non of them worked;( .So i guess its a work or not work, thats the question lol, i mean ofcourse trial and error.

sony xperia z5 compact handyhülle
Um ein tadelloses Mitglied einer Schafherde sein zu können, muß man vor allem ein Schaf sein.

Zurück zu „Discussion about Artweaver“