Layer copying question

Here everybody can post his questions/problems with Artweaver.
Michaelangelo

Layer copying question

Beitragvon Michaelangelo » Di Mai 20, 2014 1:42 am

This is a really simple and newbie question, and it seems like something simple I ought to be able to do, but I can't find out about it in the Help.

For clarity, I will use a simple example. Suppose I have two images: Image A is a stick man in black against a plain blue background; Image B is just a plain red background. Both images just have one layer.

What I would like to be able to do is to copy Image A as a layer on top of image B, but only copy the stick man; in other words, in the copy process, the blue background of Image A would disappear, it would be "invisible" after being copied. So what I would end up with is Image C: a stick man in black against a plain red background.

With this simple example no doubt there would be ways to get the same effect without using layers, but actually I want to do this with more complicated images. (For instance, just using the paint bucket to change the background of Image A to red won't work, since actually I'll be dealing with more complicated backgrounds.)

So the general question is: if I have a flat, single layer image with figures and a background, can I copy that image as a layer to the second image copying only the figures, so that the figures will now be against the 2nd image's background.

I hope that is clear. Is this possible with Artweaver? I know there is something called transparency, but I don't really understand how it works or if it is relevant. Is there a simple explanation of how to do this somewhere in the Help or on line? Thanks for any information.

Boris Eyrich
Site Admin
Re: Layer copying question

Beitragvon Boris Eyrich » Mi Mai 21, 2014 7:48 am

You can do this by using the selection tools and the clipboard in Artweaver:

• Select the stick man from Image A with the magic wand selection by just clicking somewhere on the black color of the stick man. Please make sure that the Contiguous option is not checked to select the whole stick man
  • Copy the selected area into the clipboard using the command Edit -> Copy
  • Naviqate to Image B and paste the content from the clipboard into the image with the command Edit -> Paste
  • Now a new layer is created which only contains the selected stick man as content and the original background has been replaced through transparency

Michaelangelo

Re: Layer copying question

Beitragvon Michaelangelo » Mi Mai 21, 2014 5:09 pm

Thank you I will try that!

Zurück zu „Discussion about Artweaver“