Artweaver / Artweaver Plus issues

Here everybody can post his questions/problems with Artweaver.
10minute

Artweaver / Artweaver Plus issues

Beitragvon 10minute » Di Feb 22, 2011 10:25 am

First of all, thanks for the excellent program. Easy and fast as light version of Photoshop with Painter brushes. Really good!

However, I found some issues.

1. I couldn't save transparent background in PNG format. Artweaver automatically fill the background with white color.

2. The background layer is always locked, but this is a real pleasure to work with it as a common unlocked layer. In current versions of Photoshop it is implemented (i could lock and unlock it, even remove and create simple layer instead)

3. Where to create own group of brushes? I could create brushes with "Save Variant" button, but I couldn't create my own group.

For example, there is no "Blenders" group (as Painter has). "Distortion" group is not the same, it is rather "Smudge" tool. But I found "Bleed" parameter in the brush properties, so I would like to make a group with my own "right" blenders.

4. How I could create basic round brush (as in Photoshop) both hard and soft. Just two simple brushes (hard and soft) in additional brush group make me forget about Photoshop for another reason. :)

That's all I think. Thanks again :)

P.S. Sorry for my English, it's not my native language.

newyorkmovie

Re: Artweaver / Artweaver Plus issues

Beitragvon newyorkmovie » Di Feb 22, 2011 3:07 pm

10minute hat geschrieben:Where to create own group of brushes? I could create brushes with "Save Variant" button, but I couldn't create my own group.

For example, there is no "Blenders" group (as Painter has). "Distortion" group is not the same, it is rather "Smudge" tool. But I found "Bleed" parameter in the brush properties, so I would like to make a group with my own "right" blenders.

Hi. As far as I am aware, the only way to create your own group would be to first move an existing brush type. Therefore I would suggest you make a new brush or move an existing one to a new category, where you can add your own custom brushes later. See below.

4. How I could create basic round brush (as in Photoshop) both hard and soft. Just two simple brushes (hard and soft) in additional brush group make me forget about Photoshop for another reason. :)

Click the Window menu and select the Show Brush option. Alternatively, you can press Ctrl+9. Once you've opened the brush menu, go to the last pull down menu, category, and select a soft or hard (flat) setting. Next, go the "Type" pull-down menu and select a circular mark. This should create a basic flat or round brush. Go to the small arrow tab at the top-right of the menu and click it to reveal another menu. Go to Save Variant... and save your brush with a relevant name. The brush you save will appear in the tools menu. All that's left to do now is to move it. Go to the small arrow tab on the right again and this time open the Preset Manager menu at the bottom. Find your brush and select move. Here you will be given the option to create a new category (group), or move the selected brush to an existing category. Give the category a name and your brush will be added. Repeat the process to add more brushes to a new category or to an existing one.

Maya

Beitragvon Maya » Di Feb 22, 2011 9:14 pm

Hello TenMinutes,

what you wrote about the the transparant backgroundlayer, saved in PNG is true. Also in the Free version. After re-opening you do not see the transparant layer anymore but a white background.

As you save in AW format and open again in AW format it still will be a transparant layer.
As far as I know, only Pshop has this possibility to change a locked Background layer in a dynamic (floating) layer,(maybe Painter too.. that I do not know at this moment).

But there is a possiblity via Select all/ Copy/Paste to transport a transparant layer (with his painting/drawing effects etc.) to another program like Pshop.

At some of your other questions like the creation of groups already came a perfect answer.
now about the Blender brush you are missing.

You can make your own Blender brushes in AW..I have made some 40 different Blender brushes already and they came in very handy.. it is a matter of experimenting and adjusting a Standard Brush.
A tip.. In the Brusheditor you can use in the Advanced colom, by Method>Smear and by Cathegory>Soft.

Succes!

Maya

10minute

Beitragvon 10minute » Mi Feb 23, 2011 7:35 am

Thanks, newyorkmovie and Maya!
I got it! All is easier, than I thought. :)

Boris Eyrich
Site Admin

Beitragvon Boris Eyrich » Mi Feb 23, 2011 7:40 am

1. I couldn't save transparent background in PNG format. Artweaver automatically fill the background with white color.

This is only happening if you choose the 24-bit color format on saving. With 32-bit color format Artweaver saves a transparent background (if there is any in the source image).

2. The background layer is always locked, but this is a real pleasure to work with it as a common unlocked layer. In current versions of Photoshop it is implemented (i could lock and unlock it, even remove and create simple layer instead).

Such a feature to unlock the background layer is not available yet. But you can use this workaround:
  • Duplicate background layer
  • Hide background layer (change the visibility with the eye icon)
  • Use Layer -> Set transparency to remove unneeded background color

10minute

Beitragvon 10minute » Mi Feb 23, 2011 8:02 am

Thanks for reply!
But you can use this workaround...

Yes, I do the same :)

P.S. Where I can change button "Shift" behavior (There's no settings for it in "Keybord Shortcuts..."). I would like to draw straight lines when holding "Shift", but instead the size of my brush changes.

Maya

Beitragvon Maya » Mi Feb 23, 2011 9:22 am

Hello TenMinutes,

About the straight line problem..
There is a possibilty in the new Artweaver to make a straight line with the Shapes,
you can it find under Tools,it is a white little block at the left side, there you see in the upper bar the line appear when you activate that little white block.

And you can draw straight lines.

Glad to be of help

Maya

10minute

Beitragvon 10minute » Mi Feb 23, 2011 2:03 pm

Hello Maya,

Yes, I know about Shapes, but it is not the same. :)
It's very useful when you could draw a straight line without changing your brush... a mean not just a line, but straight strokes with adjusted brush. Hope this keyboard shortcut will be added in new versions.

Thanks for participation!

Maya

Beitragvon Maya » Mi Feb 23, 2011 5:46 pm

You are welcome,

I have another suggestion to make this happen within AW.
A plan B...

Download AW 5.7 portable as an extra AW program.

There is a possiblity in this program to draw a Line with a choosen brush.. You can find this tool under the Brushtool.

And there is another possibility too with this tool.. you can make great borders with it, on an extra (transparant) layer.
See for this.. the topbar and click the little square at the right and draw a border starting on one of the corners of your layer.

Good luck with it,

Maya

Merchant

Beitragvon Merchant » Di Jun 19, 2012 6:24 pm

Hey Maya. Great explanation. Thanks :) It was a little bit tricky with this version.

Zurück zu „Discussion about Artweaver“