moving a selection

Here everybody can post his questions/problems with Artweaver.
HenryTjernlund

moving a selection

Beitragvon HenryTjernlund » Sa Nov 12, 2011 9:05 pm

I thought I had asked something like this but I can't find the post.

I found my old graphics tablet and getting back into doing some digital art. One of the things I find frustrating about using real pencil and paper for making sketches is that sometime I want to move, rotate, or resize things, like I might have a head that is too small for the body or eyes too far apart. Of course with paper you have to erase what you've done and redraw it. But in digital you can select the item and move or resize it.

But In AW I'm finding that I have to go through lots of steps to do this. It seems I have to select the item (like a sketched head) cut it (which leave a whole in the layer that takes more steps to fill) paste the item (which makes a new layer) do my moving/rotating/resizing, then merge the layer back down. Yes, certainly doable, but including having to fill the empty hole from the cut operation it seems to take double or more the steps that it takes in other programs. AW is a free style art program. It seems that this is a common task to perform. Am I missing some feature that would simplify the process?

Thanks,
Henry

Boris Eyrich
Site Admin
Re: moving a selection

Beitragvon Boris Eyrich » Do Dez 15, 2011 9:20 am

This feature is not present in the current version of Artweaver. I will try to add this feature to the next major version of Artweaver.

HenryTjernlund

Beitragvon HenryTjernlund » Do Okt 10, 2013 10:15 am

Almost 2 years later I find myself asking the same question.

Again, I have available to me a graphics tablet. Again, I download and install ArtWeaver. And again, I find the same problem that I had forgotten about, and forgot that this is why I don't use Artweaver.

I want to select a portion of art and immediately be able to move it. One example is in facial features. Maybe I draw two eyes too close, or too far apart. I want to simply select around one eye and movie it. Happens to me most often with drawing faces. But, without the above feature (which I lone in Photoshop) in Artweaver I find I must select the area. Cut it. Make new layer. Paste it. Move it around. Then Merge the layer down. I am so used to do thing so easily in Photoshop and other programs. I think that this kind of "ease of use" and expected behavior from other popular software programs would benefit the appeal of Artweaver. It seems like such a simple action. When I use art programs, the most common reason I select something, is to move it. Streamlining this process would help greatly. Even if you just make it an option (check box) in the tool's option bar. Call it "Auto Move" or something like that or "Move Selection."

Please.

Thank you,
H.

barisnjikov

Beitragvon barisnjikov » Mo Aug 31, 2015 10:03 pm

Please, was this feature developed in free, or maybe in the pro version? I am also in need of it, it's especially useful when sketching.

Moving/resizing selection is a must-have, MS Paint has it since 1990s. :)

Boris Eyrich
Site Admin

Beitragvon Boris Eyrich » Mo Sep 21, 2015 9:37 pm

The next major version of Artweaver (both Plus and Free) will have a basic move selection feature to only move the selected content of a layer.

barisnjikov

Beitragvon barisnjikov » Do Okt 01, 2015 10:28 pm

Thanks Boris, good luck & have fun coding ;-)

Rock73

Beitragvon Rock73 » Mi Jun 14, 2017 7:10 am

Then Merge the layer down. I am so used to do thing so easily in Photoshop and other programs. I think that this kind of "ease of use" and expected behavior from other popular software programs would benefit the appeal of Artweaver.

Zurück zu „Discussion about Artweaver“