Artweaver as an art program

Hier können Fragen zu Artweaver gestellt werden.
Klein

Artweaver as an art program

Beitragvon Klein » Do Jul 28, 2005 11:11 am

Hi I downloaded artweaver and I was stunned at the features it has and the interface. So slick and easy.
But when working on it , it missed some 'painting / workflow' features.

As for a paint / drawing program, it really is necessary to stay in your workflow.
So I really have some tips which I found in other programs which are really helpful

Workflow shortcuts :
1 zooming in and out of the canvas ( f.e. hold CTRL and move mouse, and resample it ).
2 panning canvas ( by holding SPACE , and moving mouse)
3 rotating canvas on the fly ( holding SHIFT , and move mouse )
4 resizing brush pen ( opencanvas has the CTRL-ALT shortcut for this, really easy )
5 navigator ( a small window which always contains your complete picture + a rectangle in which your view is )

Brushes and Paint :

1 aliased brushes
2 mixing colors the painterly way ( subtractive )
3 better smear function for 'painting' gradients ( also see 3 )
4 good palette knife

Most of these functions ( especially workflow ) are also in opencanvas
http://www.portalgraphics.net/en/index.asp
A great little painting program in which the first edition was freeware
http://www.google.com/search?sourceid=n ... 1b72%2Eexe
But opencanvas lacks some of the features which artweaver has.

I am not requesting these, nor do I want to criticize. I only suggest some painting features, which are analog to painting in the real world for making a better draw/paint tool.

Hope you can do something with it.

Kind regards -Patrick de Klein-
http://www.kleinwerk.nl

Boris Eyrich
Site Admin
Beitragvon Boris Eyrich » Do Jul 28, 2005 2:12 pm

Hi,

zooming in and out of the canvas ( f.e. hold CTRL and move mouse, and resample it ).

You can Zoom In/Out with the Mouse Scroll Wheel.

panning canvas ( by holding SPACE , and moving mouse)

This is already implemented by using the 3rd Mouse Button.

resizing brush pen ( opencanvas has the CTRL-ALT shortcut for this, really easy )

This will be a new feature in the coming 0.3.9 version of Artweaver (with the SHIFT shortcut).

navigator ( a small window which always contains your complete picture + a rectangle in which your view is )

This is on my todo list. I think it will be implemented with a 0.4.x version of Artweaver.

aliased brushes

What exact do you mean with aliased brushes?

mixing colors the painterly way ( subtractive )
better smear function for 'painting' gradients ( also see 3 )
good palette knife

I take a look at it.

Klein

Beitragvon Klein » Do Jul 28, 2005 3:01 pm

zooming in and out of the canvas ( f.e. hold CTRL and move mouse, and resample it ).

You can Zoom In/Out with the Mouse Scroll Wheel.

I understand, but since I am on a tablet, moving from pen to mouse is killing the workflow. So a shortcut key for zooming in would be great, and for greater usability zooming in at the place where the cursor stands.

panning canvas ( by holding SPACE , and moving mouse)

This is already implemented by using the 3rd Mouse Button.

Same problem, on a tablet its faster to hold spacebar, and drag the pen to the place you want to be.

resizing brush pen ( opencanvas has the CTRL-ALT shortcut for this, really easy )

This will be a new feature in the coming 0.3.9 version of Artweaver (with the SHIFT shortcut).

This would be cool, hopefully in the way that opencanvas works. resizing with the drag of the pen. clicking { or } in photoshop takes too long

navigator ( a small window which always contains your complete picture + a rectangle in which your view is )

This is on my todo list. I think it will be implemented with a 0.4.x version of Artweaver.

great !!

aliased brushes

What exact do you mean with aliased brushes?

I noticed that its too visible that the brushes are really stamps ( circles , which are not aliased ) placed after eachother. I know this is how the technique works, but you really don't want it to display , or bother the user with the spacing of the stamps.
You can choose that the user can control every little variable in the program. But if you want to make a program analog to realworld mediums, this is never the case. Better is to make good presets, and control only which controls are als variable IRL, like brush size, hardness of tip, etc.. many people like opencanvas just for the sake of not having so much options to choose from.

-Ever opened up paint and just doodled? Realized that that never happened with photoshop? Well, OC is like paint in that way, only better.-

-One of oC's huge advantages is it being sleek. There is no huge brush engine that is cluttering your memory. Even long time Photoshop users can be quoted on how smooth oC feels. One could best describe oC as "Windows Notepad" for drawing" - and it does a far better job than other so-called sketchbook apps like e.g. Alias Sketchbook-
(http://www.indeptharts.com/showthread.php?t=1502)

sorry to compare you so much with opencanvas, but its brush engine really rocks. If you realy want a fun paint program, lot of features and controls are not necessary !

mixing colors the painterly way ( subtractive )
better smear function for 'painting' gradients ( also see 3 )
good palette knife

mixing colors would put your program on top of my list, not many other programs do this well ( painter has a nice mixer, and artrage too ).

Sorry to bother you so much with this. I dont know what your goal is.

Zurück zu „Anwenderfragen“