Brush control suggestion

Hier können Fragen zu Artweaver gestellt werden.
gb_whisper

Brush control suggestion

Beitragvon gb_whisper » Di Jun 26, 2012 5:13 pm

I just imported and tested some Photoshop ABR brushes. I realized that Artweaver might need to improve brush controls in order to use Photoshop brushes to its full (in other words, to imitate how Photoshop brush works):

1) Jitter. In Photoshop it's called Scatter, although in Artweaver Jitter doesn't really increase the number of 'scattered brushstrokes'.
Untitled1.jpg

As can be seen from the image above, I put Jitter to its max value 50, the 'scatter' result is still quite subtle because along the brush direction there isn't enough displacement (or say 'scatter'). If it's possible it might be great to raise the max Jitter value to 300+.

2) Spacing. The max value of Spacing might need to be bigger as well. I would say 400+

3) Shape control. In Photoshop it's called Roundness. So far the brush shape can be changed through brush editor. However, the Shape value is not linked to any stylus behavior (e.g. pressure, direction).
It is often that people apply textures with different roundness in Photoshop, but in Artweaver there is no such option like Roundness Jitter.

4) Brush preview. So far the brush preview is obviously wrong, especially with the spacing value.
Untitled2.jpg

From the picture you can see that the preview is different from the actual brushstroke.
I find it strange that the brush preview changes according to the brush size. In fact no matter how the brush size changes, the brushstroke stays the same and so should the brush preview.

--------------------------------------------------------------------

Another thing I don't quite understand is the 'Min Spacing' option. I thought in Artweaver there is no such thing called 'Spacing Jitter' and therefore the brush spacing, by default, should be the same.
Therefore there would be no 'Min' value since they are all the same.
I've tried to see the difference with and without the min spacing value but couldn't figure out anything.
Could you please tell me how this option works?

Boris Eyrich
Site Admin
Re: Brush control suggestion

Beitragvon Boris Eyrich » Mi Jun 27, 2012 2:15 pm

I've noted your suggestions.

I find it strange that the brush preview changes according to the brush size. In fact no matter how the brush size changes, the brushstroke stays the same and so should the brush preview.

The preview uses a limit for the size when displaying the brush and it's stroke to fit them into the available preview are. Therefore might look like that there is nothing happening (but only for bigger brush sizes).

Brush spacing defines the spacing between to drawn dabs in percent which depends on the actual brush (dab) size. Min spacing defines the minimum allowed spacing between two dabs in pixels. This settings is not really used by the default Artweaver presets and a relict from older version (0.x) just to be compatible.

Boris Eyrich
Site Admin

Beitragvon Boris Eyrich » Mo Jul 02, 2012 9:34 am

The brush editor preview issue is also fixed with the latest Prerelease update (120701.8703).

gb_whisper

Beitragvon gb_whisper » Di Jul 03, 2012 12:54 pm

Thanks, Boris.

I can see the preview's been fixed better for smaller spacings but, just as you said, the actual brush spacing is also changing according to the brush size, therefore the preview wouldn't be accurate in all cases anyway.

未标题-1.jpg

So far I only paint with A4 paper size but if I were to paint smaller or bigger I would have to re-modify my brushes because of the brush spacing issue. So far so good but I would like to see it really fixed in future versions (e.g same % spacing for all brush sizes)

Zurück zu „Anwenderfragen“